Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions?  We have answers.

Don’t see the answer you’re looking for here?  Feel free to contact us for more information about any of our programs

What is required for me to take the CMSP Motorcyclist Training Course (MTC)?
Click here to be taken to our “Beginner” page.  All course requirements for the MTC are explained there.  If you have any questions after reading this page, please do not hesitate to call us during our business hours.  We are always happy to answer your questions!
What do I need to bring to the classroom session?
  • Filled out registration, waiver, NCMT P & P, & CSM Waiver (if applicable).
  • U.S Drivers license or permit or ID or out of county drivers license or passport.
  • A pen/pencil to write with.
  • If you have any questions about riding gear you plan to use, bring that also.
Do I need to have a motorcycle permit?
Nope! As long as you have a valid drivers (motorcycle or auto) permit, auto license (US or our of country), CA ID, or passport
you’re ready to take the class.
What do I need to bring to the riding session?
  1. Sturdy over the ankle boots of leather or equivalent (think hiking boots)
  2. Full Finger 100% leather gloves OR street motorcycle specific gloves, no cut-off fingers & no holes
  3. Long pants, preferably jeans
  4. Long sleeve t-shirt or jacket. Arms and legs must be covered at all times.
  5. DOT (Department of Transportation) approved ¾ or full face helmet. We provide free loners in Sizes XS-XXL.
  6. Shatterproof face shield, goggles, prescription glasses or sunglasses for eye protection. (our helmets have face shields)
  7. Snacks & water
I'm under 21, can I still take the class?
Yes! Any individual, 15.5 years of age or older, who wishes to participate in a CMSP MTC or PMTC must have one of the following: a valid Government-issued photo ID, drivers license, out of country license, permit for car or motorcycle, or passport. These can be from California, another state, or another country. CMSP accepts out-of-state and out-of-country student credentials that are acceptable to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
If I have an out of state or out of country drivers license, will I get a certificate of completion?
Yes! All students, possessing a valid license, out of country or out of state license, government issued ID card, or passport
will be issued a certificate of completion.
I have a commercial license, will getting a motorcycle license effect my other endorsements?
Yes. Typically, with commercial licenses, the DMV will make you retake all endorsements to add on the motorcycle/scooter M1
endorsement. It is up to you to check with your local DMV for your specific license status and, possible, and retesting
When will I receive my certificate of completion?
Susie Reed, the admin director, is the only person who can issue the certificates for NCMT. She gets them done and in the
mail, usually, no later then the Thursday after you have completed the course. They are sent out regular USPS. However, other
arrangements can be made to get your certificate sooner; picking it up in person at the Petaluma office or USPS overnight.
Please contact the office for more details.
I would like to pick my completion certificate up in person. Can I do that?
You can pick up your completion certificate by appointment only at our offices at 1295 Petaluma Blvd. North, Suite #1. You must call our offices on the Monday morning following your class to make an appointment to pick up your certificate in person.
Now that I have my completion certificate, what do I do with it?
If you are under 21 years of age:  Fill out sections 2 and 3 of the certificate.  Obtain the “Rider’s Handbook” from the
DMV, study it; then go to the DMV, show the certificate to the DMV clerk, you should not turn it in at this time!  You will be
allowed to take the written motorcycle permit test and upon passing, be awarded a motorcycle permit.  You will have to ride
under the provisions of the permit for 6 months or until you reach 21 years of age, whichever comes first.  At that time, you may
go to the DMV; this time, turn in your certificate in and you should receive your M1 (motorcycle) endorsement.  Consult with the
DMV as to whether or not you will receive a new hard copy license and how long that might take.

If you are over 21 years of age:  Fill out sections 2 and 3 of the certificate.

If you have not yet taken the written test at DMV, obtain the “Rider’s Handbook” from the DMV, study it; then go to the DMV,
take the written test and upon passing it, turn in your completion certificate.  You will receive your M1 endorsement.  Consult
with DMV as to whether or not you will receive a new hard copy license and how long that might take.

If you have already taken the written test at DMV and hold a valid motorcycle learner’s permit; take your completion certificate to
the DMV in person, turn it in and receive your M1 endorsement.

DMV may have different procedures for out of country license holders. Please check with your local DMV for your specific
licensing questions/procedures.

I took my DL389 (Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training) to the DMV. They told me that my certificate was obsolete, expired or that I needed a new form. What do I need to do to get a new completion certificate?
We can not replace any completion certificate that is more than one year old (12 months from the issue date).  This
not NCMT policy, it is Department of Motor Vehicles and California Motorcyclist Safety Program policy.  NCMT cannot
override or change this policy!

The only way for you to get a new Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training in this case is to pay the course fee,
re-enroll as a new student and re-take the course.

I have lost (or did not receive) my completion certificate. How do I get it replaced?
As of January 1, 2015, NCMT cannot replace any Certificates of completion (DL389’s). However, Total Control Training can.
Please download the DL389 replacement request form HERE. Once the form has been completely filled out, mail or email it to
the address on the bottom of the form. Please note, you will need to send a copy of your drivers license or ID and the CMSP will
send you a replacement.
I already have my motorcycle permit from the DMV, can I just take the riding portion of the class?
No. To get the certificate of completion (DL389), you need to take and complete the entire CMSP MTC, even if you already
have a motorcycle permit. This includes taking all of the classroom & riding sessions.
I signed up for a course, but haven't received any notice or instructions by email or mail. When will I receive them?
The confirmation email is sent out automatically after you register, you should see that email within a few minutes. If you do not see it shortly after you register (please wait one business day), please check your “SPAM” or “JUNK” folder in your email. If you still don’t see the confirmation email, please call the office at 707-773-3188, during business hours, and we can double check the email address and re-send the confirmation email.
I need directions and/or a map of the class location.
Attached to our confirmation email, you will find course instructions, driving directions and map(s). You will also find links
here and on our website to the maps and driving directions for our Petaluma, Hayward/San Lorenzo, San Mateo, Livermore,
and Pleasant Hill sites. If you haven’t received our email, contact us by email or phone and we will get the information to you.
Please don’t wait until the day of the class to check for our emails!
I have received a Standby Certificate from NCMT. What does it mean, and how can I redeem it?
The Certificate entitles a student to attend the CMSP Motorcyclist Safety Course on one future occasion on a standby
basis.  Standby Certificates are valid for six(6) months and cannot be renewed.

To redeem your Standby Certificate, you must appear at the class you would like to attend.  Please bring a filled out
registration form, waiver form, and your Standby Certificate with you.  At the bottom of the Certificate, you will see a line
marked, “Session”.  This line tells you which portions of the class you must retake in order to obtain a completion certificate.
The three portions of the class are:  C1, the first classroom session; R1, the Saturday riding session; C2, the second classroom
session and the Knowledge test; and R2, the Sunday riding session including the Skills Exam.  If more than 60 days have
passed since the start date of your original class, you must attend all four sessions in order to receive a completion
certificate even if you have attended one or more class sessions previously.
Please arrive at the class session you need
to retake at least 15 minutes prior to the session start time.  If there is a vacant seat available, it will be made available to
standby students on a first-come, first-serve basis.

You may have to appear more than once to obtain a seat.  Persistence is the key!  Information on class status is available by
calling us during business hours.  We will be glad to inform you if there are vacant seats in a class.  Of course, we cannot
accurately predict whether a full class might have seats available due to student’s non-attendance or other reasons, which is
why persistence is the key to redeeming your Standby Certificate.

If you do not wish to remain in a standby status, you may re-reserve a specific class upon payment of a
re-reservation fee (fees may vary).  If you decide to re-register, please call us during business hours and we will
be happy to assist you.

I need to cancel my reservation: Can I receive a refund? How do I obtain a refund if one is approved?
NCMT requires 5 business days’ notice prior to the start day of your class to cancel your class and issue a refund or
reschedule you to another confirmed class seat.  The 5 business days do NOT include weekends, holidays, OR the start day
of your class
. We regret that we may not be able to honor cancellation requests sent by email or left on our office voice mail
outside our office hours.  Cancellation requests received with less than 5 business days’ notice can be granted, but a Standby
Certificate is the only option in those cases; no refund or reschedule is offered unless we receive 5 business days’ notice as
stated above.

To receive a refund:  Students MUST call the NCMT office during business hours at (877) 888-6268 or (707) 773-3188 during
our office hours; Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.

NOTE: All cancelled registrations are subject to a $25.00 cancellation fee.

What if I am not proficient in English?
The knowledge test and study materials are available in Spanish as well as English. If you require help in a language other than English, you can bring someone with you to translate the class and test.
Can I use/bring my own vehicle?

It Varies. Please contact the helpful NCMT staff for more details.

I am under 21, how do I get my M1 license?

A current DMV checklist for an M1 (Motorcycle/scooter) license can be found by clicking HERE. Please make sure to read the checklist carefully and contact your local DMV directly if you have questions.

The NCMT staff does NOT work for DMV and can only provide estimations on the process.

NCMT, Inc. Policies and Procedures

This course operates under the provisions of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP). The following policies are consistent with the CMSP Policies and Procedures:

A paid in full registration allows a student to take the class one (1) time. In addition, one (1) re-test of each test is allowed for failing students. No refund or partial refund will be given to failing students.

Student Status Classifications: 1. Passing Student. A passing student is one who completes each class session in order and receives an 80% or higher on the Knowledge test and 20 points or lower on the Skills Test.

2. No Shows. Class registration and payment is only applicable to the class in which the student is enrolled. If a student fails to show up to any of the class sessions and does not give 24 hours notice, they forfeit their place in the class. No show students are not eligible for a refund but may purchase a Stand-by Certificate for $129.00. No show students are not eligible for a guaranteed seat in a future class. If a no show student wants a guaranteed place in a future class, they must pay a full registration fee. 3. Self drop. A self drop student is a student who participates in part of the course, but voluntarily withdraws before completion. No refund or partial refund will be given to self-drop students.

4. Counseled Out Students. A student may be counseled out of class for the following reasons: a. Unsafe. Students may be counseled out of the class at any time if they are deemed unsafe to continue in training. This determination will be made at the sole discretion of the Instructor. A counseled out student may return as a stand-by but must repeat the entire class form the beginning and in order regardless of what point in the class the student is dismissed.

b. Late arrival. Students are required to arrive to riding sessions 15 minutes before the start of each session. Sessions will start promptly at the assigned time. Any student who is not present at the assigned start time of the class will be considered counseled out and a stand-by student may be given their space in the class.

c. Unprepared. Students must have all of their proper riding gear (long sleeve shirt, sturdy long pants, sturdy over the ankle footwear, and either street specific motorcycle gloves or 100% leather gloves). Students who arrive without proper safety gear will be counseled out.

d. Notified no-show. Students who fail to appear for an assigned class session but notify the office 24 hours in advance, will be classified as a counseled out student.

Counseled out students may receive a stand-by certificate for a non-refundable administrative fee of $50.00. If a counseled out student does not want to be on a stand-by and desires a guaranteed enrolment in a specific class, they may purchase a class space for $129.00.

Stand-by Policy. Stand-by certificates are good for 6 months from the date issued. If the student uses the certificate within 60 days they may return to the class at the point where they left off. After 60 days the stand-by student must retake the entire class in order. If a stand-by certificate goes unused it may be re-issued for an additional 6 months for a fee of $129.00 provided it is renewed before expiration. Stand by certificates are good only for the original student and are non-transferable.

Re-test Policy. Re-tests must be completed within 60 days of the originally failed class. Skills re-tests are scheduled through the office and given on Saturdays for a fee of $50.00. Knowledge test re-tests are free if they are taken with a subsequent class during that classes testing time. If a knowledge Test re-test is desired outside of the normal class testing time a $50.00 fee is required. Rev. June 2015

If you have any questions regarding NCMT’s Policies and Procedures, please do not hesitate to contact the helpful NCMT staff at 707-773-3188 during normal business hours.